In Association With "The Pursuit of Glory"

In Association With "The Pursuit of Glory"
In Association With "The Pursuit of Glory"

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Finally! Successful (whole wheat) Bread!

For the past 5 or so weeks I have been making my own bread. Usually it is pretty easy (with a bread maker). But when you only do 100% Whole Wheat and ditch the eggs and milk/dried milk, things can get fairly difficult. The bread still will taste good, but it's seemingly undercooked, overhydrated, too thick, and doesn't cut well. And, to top it off, a whole loaf is a mere 8 slices rather than 12+. The dense bread is nice but only sometimes - such as a one piece toast breakfast before a bike ride. But if you make a sandwich with that heavy of bread, it is a meal and a half. So after many, many loaves I finally made a loaf that rose perfectly and still tastes excellent.

Fluffy, Yummy, but not too Light. Just Right.
Here's the recipe - in order of typical placement into bread maker tray:

1 C Almond Milk
2/3 C Water (no specific temp)
2 T Smart Balance (Butter substitute)
2 T Agave Nectar
2 tsp Sea Salt
3 3/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) Active Dry Yeast

*To top it off with some added texture and flavor: (I highly suggest this step)
1/2 C Rolled Oats
1/4 C Sunflower Seeds

Put all ingredients in bread maker and choose correct setting ("Whole Grain/Sweet Bread" for mine!). Mix up ingredients just to be safe - see below. Set it, go for a 3.5 hour bike ride, then come home to wonderful fresh bread! Scratch waiting to cut it...that's far overrated. Although, honestly letting it sit for an hour does help overall. Nevertheless, I always cut off the top end and throw some MNB: Glorious Almond Butter on top of it.

I have had mixed results on my bread maker's ability to evenly mix the ingredients...thus, in order to assure everything is mixed, I pre-mix it with a fork until the dough has been somewhat mixed. Then I lick the fork and enjoy the flavor that is the bread even before it is cooked!

So in the rush of putting everything together, running some errands, then a long bike ride...I didn't take any pictures during the process! However, I have a couple after photos of the glory that remains.

Pretty great crust texture. A little crispier would be nice for me, but I think the masses will like how this turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment